Monday, March 17, 2008

Acceptance & Exercise


Having timely stumbled across some FA (fat acceptance) & HAES (health at every size) literature recently I was struck by something that I had never really considered before. The message about the importance of mobility, activity, health & exercise is very strong in these circles. It is not enough just to sit back and throw back the pies singing I am fat and I am proud. It is not about exercising to burn calories or lose weight, it's about loving your body and looking after it-whatever your weight/size may be.


Our bodies were not designed to be sedentary, if they were we wouldn't have been given legs! Even Mr Potato head has legs people and he is clearly carrying some extra poundage! We need to move, dance, jump , swim whatever takes your fancy and we need to do it consistently.


I think the key here lies in separating weight/body/dieting issues from exercise. I think some people believe when they give up dieting , body-hatred etc then they get a free pass to sit on their bums for the rest of their lies. If I'm not dieting why should I exercise?


Because it's good for you dammit! It's good for your heart, it's good for your muscles, it's good for your bones, it's good for your mind, it's good for your soul :O)
That's why I love my Polar F11 (um apart from the fact that it's a groovy little gadget & I love gadgets and it's pink and I love pink and........) although I must admit when I got it I was thinking more about convincing my buttocks to shrink more than anything else. Whilst I could certainly do without it and get along fine I love the way I can watch my heart rate, watch my body in action. I love the way it gives me a little trophy at the end of the week when I have completed my scheduled exercise . I love watching my resting heart rate improve. I wear my heart rate monitor with pride! I may have a big round bottom and a big wobbly tummy but I still care about my health and longevity.
My HRM is a constant reminder to get off my bum, how can you be inspired to move more?

1 comment:

Kate said...

So true!! These days I don't do marathon walks and push myself like I used to, but exercise is way more fun, and it means I've been able to keep it up for months on end instead of going hard for a month and then giving up.

I'm sooo loving your new blog.

p.s. I did an IE post this morning!