Sunday, March 16, 2008

Falling short





I picked up this book from the library on Saturday. It sounded promising and it was a shiny new addition to the collection. I am always looking for new ED info, out of personal interest and for my career aspirations. I was pleased to see the following:

Binge Eating Disorder Thus far, the only EDNOS to have a distinct name is binge eating disorder (BED), which has attracted increasing research over the past decade. Named for its major characteristic, BED affects an estimated 0.7 to 4 percent of the population and is more common than either anorexia nervosa or bulimia nervosa. Among those in weight-loss programs, the presence of binge eating disorder is often as high as 20 to 30 percent.


In my experience still to this day it is hard to find an eating disorder book that even briefly acknowledges the existence of BED. Unless you actually go searching for BED info specifically you can have a lot of trouble finding the information that you want/need. This scares me a little as I know that many people intuitively feel that they have a problem well before they are diagnosed and may go searching for info or help, perhaps in their local library where it is private and 'safe' with only the vague term 'eating disorder' to guide them. A sneaky browse into these general focus ED books will tell you more than you ever needed to know about Anorexia or Bulimia but often very little about BED, if it is even mentioned at all. I wonder how many people have been discouraged from seeking help because they can't find any information that speaks to them, that describes their own distinct problems.

Sadly "Unlocking the mysteries of eating disorders" left me disappointed too.


...Because we have extensive experience working with individuals suffering from anorexia and bulimia, we have focused our book on these two disorders without directly adressing binge eating disorder or other examples of EDNOS.


On the one hand I get it- there is much more research, data etc to work with when it comes to Anorexia & Bulimia, but where does that leave BED sufferers? Who is putting in the work for them? Too often to me it feels like BED is thrown in the too hard basket. It leaves me confused, angry and frustrated.

So for me, I found this book a little lacking from the outset, simply because it didn't contain the information I was looking for. I find the title a little misleading as it suggests a general ED focus when really the focus is on Anorexia & Bulimia. However If I get time I will read the rest of the book and report back.

Herzog, D. B., Franko, D. L., & Cable, P. (2008).Unlocking the mysteries of eating disorders: A life-saving guide to your child's treatment and recovery. New York: McGraw-Hill.

No comments: