Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Beyond Dieting

I am slowly building up a library of IE, body acceptance articles etc, that I can turn to when the going gets tough and I feel tempted to start finding fault with my body or feel pressured to diet. So that's the main reason I am adding so many links. I find even just one little reading a day helps me to stay grounded and focused.

http://www.beyonddieting.com/ten.html

I wanted to ask you all...what makes you guys feel most tempted to jump on the dieting bandwagon? When do you feel at your most vulnerable? For me it's when I bump into people who knew me when I was slimmer, I feel as if I am under pressure to meet their expectations of how I am supposed to look, the pressure to change my body to meet their perceptions.

2 comments:

Kate said...

I know what you mean, I feel quite vulnerable in those situations. Sometimes even just making a new friend who is really slim makes me feel a bit envious.. but then in a few situations I've found out that they have an eating disorder.. so 'natural slimness' is not something I take for granted anymore.

It's hard to know.. sometimes the smallest thing can trigger off ED thoughts. It doesn't take much to pull me back to IE these days because it all just makes sense. I agree.. I try and read a little something every day. I even have an IE book in the bathroom (LOL), so I try and read a bit if I ever get 5 minutes peace! I just sit there to read! LOL.

Kada said...

Clothes shopping can do it. When I find the perfect outfit I want to wear for an occasion, but not in my size. Especially if the outfit is a wee smidge too small.

And pretty much every time I'm coming up on a decision point or starting something new or a new memory/emotion/issue from my past is bubbling up to be dealt with. I start thinking I should diet, or wanting to get back on the scales to 'see how I'm really doing', when I know that those are avoidance tactics.

Is VERY frustrating to still have those bad body thoughts. Even though I know WHY I'm having them, doesn't mean I'm always capable of avoiding them. I still have to go through talking myself down from the dieting ledge occasionally.