Wednesday, March 26, 2008

A timely nudge from the universe...

You know those times when it feels like the universe, karma, god, (whoever pops your cork) is speaking directly to you, reaching out with a lil nudge (or sometimes a great big shove) in the right direction. This link http://kateharding.net/2007/11/18/changing-the-conversation/ found it's way to me today and I know it was for a reason.

I was sitting with my lil sis, chatting about all things POLYVORE and lamenting the state of our current respective closets. Do you guys ever look in your closet and wonder how half the things made their way in there? I commented that I had spent half of my life buying clothes that I like to call "temporary". Either ugly tent like numbers designed only to cover my abundant flesh with nor regard to aesthetics to tide me over until I hit the size zero holy grail , or clothes that were "temporary" in that they temporarily squished and squeezed my flesh until I (again) hit the previously mentioned size zero holy grail. Very few clothes were ever bought because they fit nicely now or felt beautiful against my skin.

My sister agreed (sort of) and then launched into some spiel about how she would be happy to buy a size 14 but hated buying new clothes in a size sixteen (god forbid!). I started to tell her (and not for the first time either my dears) that I refused to wait anymore to live my life and that means buying new clothes that I love too, right now even with my huge boobs and bum. If for some reason in the future my body shape changes so dramatically that my current clothes cease to fit then by George I will have to buy more, just like I have to do every year for my daughter.

You should have felt the tension in the air. I might has well have said that I might chop off both my arms and legs. I tentatively said that I didn't believe in dieting and that no one that I have known my whole life has dieted and kept the weight off for any statistically significant amount of time, but almost everyone I knew had dieted and often more than 3 times. She thought for a moment and said " oh i don't know my friend ebony is very health conscious and exercises regularly and...."

Ok WTF?

Ebony is teeny tiny, ebony's mother is teeny tiny as is her brothers. They are a petite family, always have been always will be. I said that I doubt Eb would ever get noticeably overweight as she she genetically slight build, my sister replied that oh no everybody can get fat. Well yes, they probably could but again, highly unlikely for this girl.

So
A) she is not fat, never has been
B) because she is health conscious and she exercises then she must automatically be dieting and weight conscious.

What a load & quite frankly what a silly argument. How can one look at naturally thin people and compare them to dieters? It doesn't make any damn sense.

What struck me the most was that it was almost as if I had said something really taboo when I suggested that dieting to reach a certain dress size was just a little bit stupid. Her reaction made me a little peeved and just a little bit sad. My sister is gorgeous and generally a size 12 up top/size 14-16 on the bottom=hardly a heifer. Certainly not when compared to me who can range from anything 14-16-18 on top to 14-16-18-20 on the bottom depending in the style, fit of the clothes. Funny thing about us too, being sisters=big boobs, small waist, big bum and thighs.

Perhaps she thinks that If I accept my natural tendency to be curvy then I have doomed her to a life of fatdom too?

No comments: