Sunday, October 5, 2008

change?

We have been thinking about a move recently. Away from the coast and further inland where living is much cheaper. We have lived in this house for quite a long time now and half of me loves my little beach shack-ocean views, sea breezes, large yard, quirky vintage 'feel'.

But the other half of me sees the big for sale sign out the front and knows that our time here is limited anyway. And watches the rents around here on even the oldest of houses like ours skyrocketing. Our family is growing and we need more space and the "oldness" of this house feels like a worry to me with bubbas on the cards.

But the thought of leaving the beach makes my heart ache a little. Living by the ocean is good for the soul and I would love for our children to grow up here. But I'm not sure if I can trade a new, spacious, safe home with functional living spaces for the ocean-and that's not even including how much it is going to cost us to continue living here.

We are on the one income right now and probably will be for the forseeable future. I want to be home with my children and darn it I want to finish my degree and see it through. I owe it tomyself and I think I owe it to my family who in a way have probably missed out on a few things because of my choice to stay home and study-then again they have probably gained too from having me here. I don't know, my thinking goes round and round in circles.

What do you guys think? If we move we will live in a much more practical house that fits comfortably within our budget-but we will miss out on the joys of living by the coast. If we stay we are probably going tohave to live somewhere smaller (which we really can't do) or much crappier (which is not really what I want for my family). And if we stay our budget continues to be stretched whilst our options become more limited. But do you think the "lifestyle" is worth it?

If we move, we retain some leeway in our budget which allows for more savings and security plus the potential to have our own home sooner. But the ocean.........how I love the ocean-it's kind of like leaving a piece of my heart behind.It feels so right living here.


eeeeeeeekkkk!

your thoughts?

xoxo

1 comment:

Kate said...

That's a hard one babe, but will you be so far away from the ocean that you can't go visit? I remember when Joseph and I both moved out of our parent's homes and in to our own house together, it was really odd for us to not be living in view of the sea (even though our parent's houses looked out at different oceans!) - but it kinda makes it almost sweeter when that view comes into sight again, like you can take big deep breaths and drink it in.